Written by KB
First thing, welcome to Carolina!! We are so excited for your start your journey at USC and even more excited that you have chosen to start by going through sorority recruitment. I’m sure you’ve got a million questions that are running through your mind. They’re probably along the lines of: What am I getting myself into? What is it going to be like? Are the girls really going to be screaming at me like the videos that I’ve seen on YouTube? Hopefully, I can give you an insight into what you’re about to go through and get you pumped for recruitment!
When you come to orientation, you will be greeted by two VERY excited sorority women, probably with huge smiles on their faces and dancing around- these are your Pi Chis. For the next two weeks, they will be your guides, your mentors, your best friends, your confidants, and anything else that you need. We have given up our letters so that we can help you find your home. That’s a term you’ll hear a lot during recruitment, “finding your home.” When you join a sorority, you’re not just joining a group of girls who do community service projects or attend functions. You’re finding the place that you feel most comfortable, the place where you can go to on your worst days and find a friend, and the place that holds all your sisters.
Trust this process. At times, you’re going to question why you’re here. The days can be long, Columbia will be hot (it’s not called famously hot for nothing), and you’re going to have a lot of emotions as you decide which chapters you would like to go back to. But trust us, the process works and there’s no better feeling than running to your new sisters on Bid Day (the day where you find out which chapter you recieved- don’t worry, you’ll learn all the lingo soon!) There are so important things we want you to know about before you take on this process and I hope that you keep this in mind when you join us in Columbia:
- BE YOU. The girls in the chapters genuinely want to get to know you and what makes you special.
- Wear what makes YOU comfortable.
- It’s okay if you’re sweating, if your hair is out of place, or if your voice is starting to fade. It’s all part of recruitment and the girls just want to talk to you.
- Trust your gut and stay true to yourself. This is so important to remember!
- There will be lots of cheering- don’t be scared. You’ll get used to it very soon!
- Use your Pi Chis! They are such a resource for you and are so excited for to help you find your home. Text them day or night and they will be there for you.
- HAVE FUN! I don’t think this one needs an explanation.
Recruitment is right around the corner and we cannot wait to welcome you home to Carolina! When you see a group of girls cheering, dancing, and covered with paint and glitter- you’ve found the Pi Chis!
See you at orientation!
Love, Your Pi Chis